Canon PowerShot Elph 520 HS Black w/ Micro SD Card
In the twelve years since the original ELPH was instantly and universally proclaimed an icon of style, successive ELPH cameras have remained at the forefront of design even while boasting the very latest in digital technology. Now, opening a new era of ELPH design, the Canon PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera is both homage to the original ELPH and astonishing synthesis of Canon's leadership in technical advancements. A mere 0.76 inches thick, it is the world's thinnest 12x zoom camera*. Canon's pursuit of perfection has driven the development of new miniaturization including a new lens and new 10.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor that, powered by Canon's DIGIC 5 Image Processor, create images as breathtakingly beautiful as the camera itself. It's also packed with the latest Canon technologies including Smart AUTO with new Face ID and Full HD Video. Brimming with a full range of advanced technologies that automatically optimize the image quality of every shot, the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera makes the ultimate style icon incredibly effortless.
*As of January 9, 2012.
- World's thinnest camera with a 12x Optical Zoom, Optical Image Stabilizer and 28mm Wide-Angle lens.*
- Canon's HS SYSTEM with a 10.1 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with Canon's DIGIC 5 Image Processor for exceptional low-light performance up to ISO 3200.
- Shoot beautiful 1080p Full HD video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button; zoom while shooting and play back videos on an HDTV via the HDMI output.
- A 3.0-inch PureColour System LCD enables easy viewing.
- Improved Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper camera settings based on 58 predefined shooting situations, and the new Face ID function adjusts focus and exposure priority based on pre-registered faces.
- Intelligent IS automatically chooses from six different modes to optimize image stabilization for the shooting condition.
- Improved Movie Digest records a short 720p HD video clip right before shooting a photo and then combines one day's worth of clips into one video.
- New Smooth Skin and Soft Focus scene modes allow you to capture more pleasing portraits.
- High-Speed Burst Mode allows continuous shooting (6.8 fps) and Super Slow Motion Movie records video at high speeds to allow playback in slow motion.
*As of January 9, 2012.
Spectacular Lens Power, Amazingly Compact Body.
Incredibly Thin Design
Canon's unwavering commitment to equipping an ultra-thin, clean-profiled ELPH with 12x zooming power required a redesign of the lens, sensor and other technologies. This pursuit of perfection paid off, creating the world's thinnest camera* with a 12x zoom. At an astonishingly thin 0.76 inches, it is significantly slimmer than competitors' 12x zoom models.
*As of January 9, 2012
12x Optical Zoom and 28mm Wide-Angle Lens
Newly designed to custom-fit the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera's incredibly thin profile, the camera's 12x Optical Zoom and 28mm Wide-Angle Lens is a marvel of optical technology. The Wide-Angle lens gives you more to work with in every shot, adding depth, perspective and grandeur as called for. Landscapes, city scenes, family shots and more all benefit from the extra width. With a 12x Optical Zoom, no shot is beyond your reach. You'll love the flexibility it gives you when shooting: from a single vantage point you can capture an unlimited number of different images simply by zooming in and out. It also incorporates the latest in Canon UA lens technology, suppressing lens aberration for outstanding image quality throughout the entire zoom range. The camera's sensor was specifically designed for this lens, so even at the long end of the zoom images are bright and clear.
UA Lens Technology
Pioneered by Canon, UA Lens technology makes possible compact lenses with remarkable optical performance. By using molded glass with an ultra-high refractive index in aspherical lens elements, Canon has succeeded in reducing lens size while significantly reducing image aberrations. Another stellar example of cutting-edge Canon optics, UA Lens technology helps make PowerShot digital cameras pocket-friendly and capable of astounding image quality.
*As of January 9, 2012.
Experience the Power.
Canon HS SYSTEM
The Canon HS SYSTEM lets you take bright, clear photos in an even wider range of shooting situations. Beautiful low-light shots are possible with minimal noise and maximum detail in highlight and shadow areas. The system is the result of two technologies brought together in PowerShot cameras: a high-sensitivity imaging sensor, which is able to capture more light; and the DIGIC 5 Image Processor, which actively reduces noise with high-speed image processing. The 10.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor in the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera incorporates advanced light reception technology that enhances sensitivity. The DIGIC 5 Image Processor provides a major boost in noise reduction, expanding the usable ISO range to an amazing high of ISO 3200. The Canon HS SYSTEM takes the frustration out of low-light shooting, delivering clear, blur-free images.
Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor
The latest-generation Canon DIGIC 5 Image Processor brings phenomenal increases in processing speed and power. Improved chip architecture and algorithms deliver greatly expanded functionality with further refinement in image quality. Improved noise reduction produces clearer images when shooting in low light at high ISO speeds. Enhanced i-Contrast performance adjusts differences between light and dark areas to achieve even more natural-looking results. The faster processing speed also results in faster continuous shooting capability while maintaining full image quality. The DIGIC 5 Image Processor also makes possible a new, highly advanced automatic white balance system. Whereas conventional white balance makes an overall adjustment based on a single type of light source, the new Canon Multi-Area White Balance analyzes several areas of the image to determine whether different adjustments are needed, for example, for the main subject and the background
Memorable Moments in Spectacular Full HD.
Canon Full HD Video Advantage
In addition to the Canon HS SYSTEM, the combination of the advanced CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5 Image Processor in the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS makes it possible to shoot crisp, clear high definition video. Imagine the fun and excitement of being able to shoot spectacular 1080p Full HD video with stereo sound that you can later watch on your HDTV or download to your computer to share with family and friends. In addition to being able to shoot Full HD 1080p video at 24* frames per second, the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS can also shoot 720p HD video at 30** frames per second.
*Actual frame rate is 23.976 fps.
**Actual frame rate is 29.97 fps.
Dedicated Movie Button, Wind filter feature and Optical Zoom for easy video capture
It's never been easier to shoot videos with a PowerShot digital camera. The PowerShot ELPH 520 HS has a dedicated movie button that lets you start and stop recording instantly. There is no need to go through layers of menus or operate switches or dials to switch to and from video recording mode. The camera is always ready to shoot stills or video whenever you want. The PowerShot ELPH 520 HS also incorporates an electronic wind filter, which suppresses wind noise that can muffle or distort the sound. And unlike less sophisticated point-and-shoot cameras, the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS lets you use the full range of optical zoom when you're shooting a video.
HDTV Playback via HDMI with CEC Support
It's easy to enjoy and share the videos you shoot with the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera. Simply connect its HDMI terminal to your HDTV using an HDMI cable. And because the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS supports HDMI-CEC technology, you'll be able to control the playback of your images and videos on any CEC-enabled HDTV using the TV's remote control. (CEC - Consumer Electronic Control - is part of the HDMI specification, enabling components in a system to communicate with one another.)
With the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS, you can also shoot video in the Apple iFrame format, which is a computer-friendly standard that speeds up importing and editing of videos. It keeps file sizes small, making it more convenient to upload or e-mail high-quality videos. The iFrame format enjoys native support in compatible Mac and Windows video applications, making it unnecessary to perform time-consuming and often quality-degrading conversions.
See Everything Brilliantly.
PureColour System LCD
The PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera's large and bright 3.0-inch PureColour LCD screen makes it easy to view and frame your shots in high resolution (461,000 dots). Many LCD screens on the market today use a striped arrangement of dots that works great for text and menus, but is not ideal for imagery. The PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera's PureColour System LCD uses a delta arrangement of dots, an arrangement that works better for the organic nature of photos and videos, allowing you to review your images with exceptional clarity with rich, true-to-life colour. Moreover, you can view the LCD screen over a surprisingly wide angle - above, below or to either side - without colour shifts and with minimal reflections. A scratch-proof hard coating and a dust-repellent fluorine coating ensure a durable screen that dependably displays clear, vibrant images.
Your Best Shots Are Easier Than Ever.
Smart AUTO for the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS has been significantly expanded, making it easier than ever to capture the sharp, bright, colourful images - and videos - you're looking for. By assessing various factors in both the background and the subject, the system recognizes 58 predefined shooting situations and automatically selects the camera settings that will yield the best possible results. Simply frame the shot you want, and in dozens of common or challenging scenarios the camera takes care of the rest. Hard-to-capture shots such as moving subjects, night scenes, backlit subjects, and landscapes at evening or on a bright snowy day are instantly and effortlessly captured as "keeper" shots. Smart AUTO makes the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS ideal for capturing excellent quality still images and video on the go.
- Smart AUTO The camera automatically selects the best shooting settings for optimal quality based on subjects and environmental factors to provide point-and-shoot simplicity.
- Program The camera automatically and intelligently selects the aperture/shutter speed combination based on the shooting conditions.
- Movie Digest in 720p HD Records a video clip in 720p HD before capturing a still image and then combines one day's worth of clips into a video.
- Stitch Assist Easy-to-use guidelines simplify the shooting of aligned multiple frames that can later be combined (using bundled software) to create panoramic photos.
- Low Light For high quality image capture in an amazing range of dimly-lit situations
- Portrait Brings the subject into focus while beautifully blurring the background.
- Smart Shutter The camera automatically takes the photo when people smile, wink, or get into frame.
- High-Speed Burst Captures rapid action frame by frame, by shooting continuously at a high speed while the shutter button is held down.
- Handheld Night Scene Take clear and steady pictures at night without the use of a tripod.
- Super Vivid Super Vivid intensifies existing hues, saturating the scene with bright colours
- Colour Accent Choose to retain a single colour in your image while other colours turn monochrome.
- Colour Swap Select a colour and replace it with a colour you specify for special effects.
- Underwater Capture underwater images with reduced backscatter effect. Optional Underwater Case required
- Snow Shoot clear snow scenes without darkened subjects or an unnatural bluish tint
- Fireworks Create brilliant images of skyrocketing fireworks.
- Long Shutter Use to blur moving subjects for artistic effect, ideal for urban night photography
- Fisheye Effect Now you can get the fisheye effect - a classic photographic distortion - without a fisheye lens.
- Miniature Effect Give images a miniature look with an effect that emphasizes perspective by blurring the top and bottom of the image.
- Toy Camera Effect Simulates photos taken with "toy" or pinhole cameras, darkening the image at the edges to create a vignette effect.
- Monochrome Choose from three single-tone effects: Black-and-White, Sepia, or Blue.
- Poster Effect Poster Effect combines several similar shades into one colour, turning subtle gradations into eye-catching, scene-popping contrasts.
- iFram Movie The Apple movie format, iFrame, makes it easier and quicker to import and upload videos while retaining high image quality.
- Super Slow Motion Movie Record your clips in high speed (approx. 240 fps), and then watch your videos in slow motion.
- Smooth Skin Removes dullness, wrinkles, and harsh shadows for beautiful faces.
- Soft Focus Creates a hazy ambiance that's perfect for portraits and wedding photos.
Face ID is one of the most advanced and exciting new features of the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS, giving you an easy way to improve every shot of the people you love. Simply take a picture of up to 12 faces you would like the camera to register, then enter names and ages. Once a person is registered, the camera will pick him or her out of a group (even against a busy background) and adjust focus and exposure to his or her face, even recognizing faces in profile. Face ID is particularly great for shots of babies and children. The system can pick your baby out of a group of children, focus on your baby when pictured with an adult, and capture her best smile by taking three successive images when the smile is detected. The flash is even disabled so as not to startle the baby and interrupt the moment. Older children in motion are tracked, with focus and exposure continually adjusted with Servo AF; with one shutter press three successive images are captured so the best shot is never missed. And because you'll identify each face you register, Face ID makes it easy to search images by name.
A Steady Image Is a Beautiful Image.
The latest advance in Canon Optical Image Stabilization technology, Intelligent IS analyzes camera movement and applies the best shake correction method for the shooting situation. For stills, the system automatically selects among Normal, Panning, Macro (Hybrid) and Tripod IS modes. When shooting video, the system automatically selects among Dynamic, Powered, Macro and Tripod IS modes. With Intelligent IS, you can concentrate on image capture, letting the camera make the most effective IS settings to assure the steadiest possible image.
- Normal Corrects for a wide range of camera movement when shooting stills.
- Panning Panning motion is detected so that IS does not interfere with desired camera movement.
- Macro (Hybrid) Corrects for shift-type camera shake, which typically occurs in macro (close-up) shooting.
- Dynamic Effective for video shooting at wide-angle focal lengths, eliminating the unwanted shaking that typically occurs while walking.
- Powered Compensates for hand movement when shooting video at the telephoto end of the zoom range, where camera shake is magnified.
- Tripod When tripod use is detected, the Image Stabilizer is stopped because it is not needed.
Turn Your Memories into a Highlights Reel.
720p Movie Digest
With the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS digital camera, capturing trips and special occasions with a high-quality video "highlights reel" is as easy as switching on the Movie Digest feature. When activated, the feature automatically records the four seconds before each still shot as video, then auto-edits them into a short movie. Played back together, the video clips capture the mood and ambiance of special days in a way that's completely different from still images, both documenting the creation of still images and providing a unique stand-alone memory preserver. New with the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS, the video is captured in 720p high definition so that it looks smooth and beautifully detailed when played back on your HDTV. With bundled software ImageBrowser EX, you can easily delete any scenes you don't want.
Add a Professional Touch with Scene Modes.
New Smooth Skin and Soft Focus Scene Modes
The PowerShot ELPH 520 HS makes it easier than ever to give your images a professional look with new scene modes that instantly mimic the effects of post-production editing and special filters. Smooth Skin takes away dullness, fine wrinkles and harsh shadows, subtly smoothing and brightening skin for beautiful faces. Smooth Skin Effect can be set to Low, Medium or High; Skin Tone Colour can be set to Off, Lighter Skin Tone or Darker Skin Tone to counteract shadows and improve visibility. Soft Focus creates a hazy ambiance that's perfect for nostalgic portraits, romantic shots, wedding photos and more. The mode can be set to Low, Medium or High for just the right effect.
A PowerShot that Keeps Up with the Action.
High-Speed Burst Mode
Capture amazing action shots like the pros with the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS camera. Using High-Speed Burst mode*, you can shoot at exceptionally high speeds - 6.8 frames per second. It's a great feature for those who enjoy taking pictures at sporting events. High-Speed Burst is also an excellent way to make sure you capture that perfect instant in time when shooting any moving subject.
*Image resolution is 1824 x 1368 pixels when shooting in High-Speed Burst mode.
Super Slow Motion
The Super Slow Motion Movie mode* on the PowerShot ELPH 520 HS gives you a fun and useful option when shooting videos. It records video clips at a very high speed - up to approximately 240 frames per second. When the clips are played at normal speed (30 fps), the action is dramatically slower. This video shooting mode can be used to capture memorable plays at sporting events or to analyze and study motion.
- PowerShot ELPH 520 HS (Black)
- Battery Pack NB-9L
- Battery Charger CB-2LB
- USB Interface Cable IFC-400PCU
- Wrist Strap WS-DC11
- Digital Camera Solution CD-ROM
- Limited Warranty