Sony Carl Zeiss 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA SSM Vario-Sonnar T* Lens
Obtain dramatic landscapes and interiors with the unique SAL-1635Z Carl Zeiss® wide-angle lens. It features a 16-35mm zoom and a super-fast f2/8 constant aperture. Thanks to SteadyShot® in-camera stabilization, this spectacular large-aperture, full-frame-capable, wide-angle zoom has the added benefit of image stabilization. It also incorporates professional-grade technology, including Super Extra Low Dispersion (ED) glass, three aspherical elements and Carl Zeiss T* coatings on glass-to-air surfaces.
- Super Wide-Angle Zoom 16-35mm. Perfect for dramatic landscapes, interiors and unique perspectives on everyday objects. (35mm equivalent when used with APS-C format cameras: 24-52.5mm.)
- Fast, constant aperture f/2.8. While typical zoom lenses lose maximum aperture toward the telephoto end, the SAL1635Z maintains a very fast f/2.8 across the entire zoom range for the utmost flexibility in challenging light conditions.
- World-famous Carl Zeiss optics. Carl Zeiss lenses are prized by photographic professionals. The SAL1635Z features the classic Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar zoom lens design.
- Superb, corner-to-corner consistency. Resolution, contrast and image brightness are maintained not just at the image center, but also in the corners -- a hallmark of Carl Zeiss design.
- Carl Zeiss T* (T-star) coatings. Internal reflections on the glass-to-air surfaces can create veiling glare, which reduces contrast and takes the life out of your pictures. The SAL1635Z overcomes this issue with the famous Carl Zeiss T* coatings.
- Super low distortion. The lens minimizes field curvature even at wide angle settings.
- Short Minimum Focusing Distance. With the ability to focus as closely as 11 inches (0.28 m), this wide angle zoom lens also lets you move in for dramatic perspectives on people, natural subjects and close-up details.
- In-Camera Image Stabilization. Because Sony builds SteadyShot® image stabilization into the ? cameras, the SAL1635Z does what other lenses can't. This is the world's only large-aperture, full-frame capable wide-angle zoom with the benefit of image stabilization (as of Sept. 2008).
- SSM (Super Sonic wave Motor). Large, wide-aperture zoom lenses tend to have larger, heavier elements that are harder to drive in Auto Focus. Sony achieves fast, smooth, near-silent automatic focusing with the Super Sonic wave Motor. It delivers high torque, high speed and rapid start/stop response.
- Focus Hold Button. For creative control a focus hold button conveniently located on the lens barrel lets you firmly lock in focus. Focus Hold also enables image preview with the ?900 D-SLR.
- Multi-Element Design. The SAL1635Z incorporates 17 elements in 13 groups for superb sharpness, speed and edge-to-edge consistency.
- Best-in-Class 0.24 Maximum Magnification. (Among super wide angle zoom full frame lenses as of September 2008).
- Super Extra-low Dispersion (Super ED) and ED glass. Newton showed that different colors bend at different angles when they pass through glass. In lenses, this causes the problem of chromatic aberration. Sony solves the problem with a Super ED and an ED glass element. You get sharp, clear images with well defined colors.
- Three aspherical elements. Fast lenses have a difficult time maintaining sharpness at maximum aperture. The SAL1635Z is amazingly fast for a 16-35mm zoom. Yet thanks to three aspherical elements, the lens achieves incredibly consistent, corner-to-corner sharpness at maximum aperture.
- Circular Aperture. Because the aperture blades form a near circle at the wide openings used for low-light shots, spot-light sources have a pleasing circular defocused effect. The lens features nine aperture blades.
- Auto Clutch. For reliable operation, the manual focus ring does not rotate in auto-focus mode.
- Supplied accessories. Carrying case, lens caps and petal shaped lens hood.
- Sony AF 16-35mm f2.8 SSM Vario- Sonnar lens
- Front and rear lens cap
- Lens hood
- Carrying case